Thursday, June 21, 2012

EXTRAordinary People | Amma Aboagye




AMMA ABOAGYE
Nyame Nti Designs


Ladies and gents, it is with great pleasure that I introduce you all to the talented and creative designer, Amma Aboagye, owner and creator of Nyame Nti Designs. She's from Capitol Heights, Maryland and will soon be graduating with a master's degree from the London School of Economics. Go Amma!! Without further ado...


W&I: What INSPIRED you?

Amma: Fashion and Action. I wanted to mix my love of apparel and design with my heart for Ghana, where my parents are from and where I intend to move to in August. I really love the flexibility of African textiles with all the colors, patterns and designs, they can take anything basic and add so much fun. The phrase "Nyame Nti" means "Because of God" and it is through the innovation and creativity He has given me that I am able to pursue this work.

W&I: What keeps you WIRED? 

Amma: The next generation. Youth. The future. I am motivated by the idea that anything I do or anything I plan could make a better situation for the next generation. I hope to spur innovation, fun, cross platform thinking and to just set a high standard so that the next round of thinkers has to really think big to top it. I think there is more to African design than just "tribal wear". I want to really move people to thinking about Africa producing great trends and as trendsetters in fashion, art, music and even innovative ways of governance. I look forward to that platform for the next generation of Africans and the Diaspora.

W&I: How do you hope to inspire others?

Amma: I hope that my 'taking chances' inspires others in the same ways that I have been inspired by risk takers in my life like my parents. The world is such a big place and thankfully, technology is available to connect us in ways that we may have never thought possible before. I hope that my legacy on this earth will be one where people will see the different things I do and the different ways I express myself, and feel like they can also create a path for the,selves to do something they enjoy while making an impact.

W&I: Words of wisdom? 

Amma: I think we should get out of our comfort zones, push the envelope a little, make connections and explore the world. The next big idea or innovation could be sitting somewhere between a girl in Seat Pleasant and a woman in Timbuktu, but you really have to be willing to take risks. As I think about Nyame Nti long term, I really hope that it does spur those connections and I can expand it into something bigger and more impacting.

W&I: We want to know more?!!

Amma: You can find more information through my etsy and facebook pages. I hope to be adding some new products in June/ July as soon as graduation is over and hopefully since I will be in Ghana in the summer, I will be able to add more Ghanaian produced fabrics for some new, locally grown accessories in the Fall.

Check out the Etsy shop and Facebook Page!
Nyame Nti Designs Etsy Shop 
Nyame Nti Designs Facebook Page

W&I: You're doing amazing things Amma and I love what you're all about! Thanks for doing the interview and I wish you much success!! I'm excited to see what you have coming this summer. And guuuuuyyyyssss...I got me a necklace from Nyame Nti Designs and I LOVE it!!!



I love the mix of different patterns, colors and textures...so my stlye and the part that ties around the neck is a nice velvety material. The necklace is made well and her prices are reasonable. Be sure to check her out!!!

Stay Inspired.

No comments:

Post a Comment