Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Creativity365 Day 40

Today's Instructions: Create something using an old map or something that ends up looking like a map.

Shoutout to yesterday! That was my 100th post...just realized it as I was doing this one. So finally, I'm back to making stuff. I feel like its been a really long time. Today's and Friday's projects will be about commemorating good times...memorabilia. I just had so many, so I'm still holding on to the memories lol. This project is really simple and it's a cool way to remember where you went or can be made into a gift for someone else. My mom is always telling me to bring her something back when I go somewhere.

Here it is...


Real simple. It's also something cool to do with kids. Get some spelling and letter learning action going lol. I chose to do LA because I just went there, but mostly because it required the least amount of letters. They're about $2 a piece, so you might want to pass on this one for Mississippi or Czechoslovakia lol. I can't believe I spelled that right on my own. I did, however, use larger letters. The smaller ones aren't as expensive.

I used a couple of LA maps that I took from Hertz where we rented our car. Of course it had all the Hertz locations all over it, so I had to strategically lay down the letters and trace around them. I cut the letters out with my....guess. Yep, my handy dandy X-Acto knife...this part isn't for kids lol. After cutting the paper letters out, I attached them to the wood letters with Mod Podge and then used a paint brush to spread a couple layers of Mod Podge on top the letters to seal it and give it a little sheen. I used the Mod Podge with a satin finish, but Mod Podge also comes in a matte and gloss finish. I'll probably stand these up on a shelf somewhere. You could also glue them to a base or lay them flat and glue them to another surface so you can hang it on the wall. Yoooou could also write some of the highlights of your trip on the back with the tons of Sharpies they have available these days...just trying to get your creative juices flowing lol. I just wrote the year on the bottom of mine. Simplicity always wins with me...well, most of the time. Give it a try!

Here's the materials and instructions in a more organized fashion.

Materials:
  • Map
  • Wooden letters 
  • Pencil
  • X-Acto knife 
  • Mod Podge satin finish (or whatever finish you want)  
  • Paint brush 

Instructions:
1) Trace the wood letters onto the map.
2) Cut the letters out with the X-Acto knife. 
3) Brush Mod Podge onto wood letter and and attach the paper letter. Once you have it lined up and attached, follow the instructions on the Mod Podge bottle and add a couple of layers on top of the letter with your paint brush to seal it and add a nice finish.  

No comments:

Post a Comment