Wednesday, May 23, 2012

DC Scores Inspired Art Gala Recap

Soooo I definitely had a cool craft project I was going to do last night and post today...called myself multi-tasking (something else really exciting was going on) and I completely ruined some good materials by cutting them the wrong way GRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!lol I was am so mad. #endrant

(Source)

So on to DC Scores...I spoke about the Art Inspired Gala that I donated artwork to in this post. The gala took place last Thursday, at the Carnegie Institute of Washington. This event was to raise funds for the organization, which provides after-school programs for over 800 low-income DC youth as well as free summer camps through their “Couch to Camp Campaign”. During the event, there was a silent art auction, kids from the program reciting poetry (DC Scores' "poet-athletes"), and inspirational guest speakers. This event was absolutely a success with over 225 guests and over $77,000 raised for the organization!! Wooohooooo!!! I love this organization and what it stands for and I am very happy to have been able to participate in this event for the last couple years. DC Scores has a much more in-depth write up about the evening on their blog. And yes, I was excited to see my painting as one of the pics for their post lol. You can read it here. It's truly inspiring.
 
The organization works hard to engage the youth in the arts, athletics and academics. This is primarily through poetry, creative writing and soccer. They're looking for volunteers to be soccer referees and assistant coaches. They're also looking for photographers, videographers, graphic designers, and restaurant owners. If you're interested in learning more about this organization and how you can get involved, click here

Here's a video that gives you an idea of the impact DC Scores has on their local community.



MESSAGE!lol: Use your gifts to be a blessing to somebody else. Don't always be out for a paycheck. To give truly is better than receiving. Somebody out there needs you.

Stay Inspired. 


No comments:

Post a Comment