Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Creating Public Art with Albus Cavus

Edgewood Mural in Washington, DC

So, every once in a while, I ransack the Internet looking for inspiration...motivation...something I didn't know about before. A couple of weeks ago I came across the Albus Cavus website. This organization states that it "builds strong and healthy communities through public art and creative collaborations." Oh, I can dig it and they have created some AMAZING artwork in DC, Maryland, Virginia, Philadelphia, New York, New Jersey, and Dubai, India to name a few. If you are into creating public art, you should definitely check out their website. Their reasoning behind what they do is really inspirational and you can read it here. I thought about summing it up in this post, but I think you should just read the whole thing. They say it all so well lol. 

In addition to creating public art, they also hold various classes and workshops and after looking all through their site, I found a free, online textbook, "Going Public: The Guide to Creating Art in Public Space". This book takes you through the entire process of creating public artwork, from establishing your intentions for creating a public work of art to presenting your finished work. Check it out!!

Here's a video of a group of artists from DC, MD, and New Jersey creating public art in the Columbia Heights community.


These are the things that bring me joy lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment