Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Real Love

Source: valentinesdaygift.us



So in honor of Valentine’s Day, I’m going to talk about real love.
What is real love? For so long, I thought I knew the answer to this question. With all that I learned from Disney movies, songs, magazines, romance novels, and films, I thought I was an expert lol. Love was butterflies in the stomach, long intense stares, always wanting to be with the object of my affection, and physical touch amongst other flighty things. It’s soooo much deeper than this. I have learned that love isn’t something you feel, it’s what you do. The butterflies...the gazing in each other’s eyes...that’s cute, but it’s not necessarily love.   

Real love is HARD! It sees past flaws, disappointments, and mistakes. God plainly tells us what love is. He is love right? He made it. Who better to explain than the Creator of it all? This is what He calls for us to be and do when it comes to love...



Love is patient.
Love is kind.
It does not envy.
It does not boast, it is not proud.
It does not dishonor others.
It is not self-seeking.
It is not easily angered.
It keeps no record of wrongs.
Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
Love never fails.
1 Cor. 13:4-8 ...He also states that without love, we have nothing.


He didn’t say that love is patient when your significant other isn’t getting on your nerves, that love is kind when others are kind to you, or that love never fails except when _____________ (you fill in the blank). Love is what it is regardless of the actions of others. We are called to love even when a person makes themselves unlovable. We are called to be patient even when someone or a situation is getting on our LAST nerves. He even tells us to love and pray for our enemies!...now that’s tough love if I ever heard of it lol. I’ll get there one day.

Real love is tough, but it’s something I want to master. It’s all because of God...Jesus. Leave it to me, I wouldn’t care as much but, I know this is how He loves me and it’s a bit hypocritical to want this kind of love, but not give it. Candy, flowers, and cards for a day are cool, but a love like this, 365/24/7, is the best gift of them all!


HAPPY VALENTINE’S DAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment