Monday, March 26, 2012

Creativity365 Day 31

Today's Instructions: Mail art! Take an existing postcard and alter it, then send it to a random address (or anonymously to a friend), after documenting it, of course. 

I didn't have any postcards, but there is no shortage of magazine subscription cards lying around my room. So I took the opportunity to do a project out of Mark Montano's The Big A$$ Book of Crafts and made "Subscription-Card Artwork". In the book, Mark uses gold embossing powder, an embossing heat gun, and an embossing stamp pad but, I just used gold paint and a rubber stamp.

And here it is...




The image in the middle is a peacock feather. My stamp was a little off. It was sitting in a big drawer crushed under other stuff for a while.

Materials:
  • Subscription postcards
  • Glue
  • Paint in color of your choice
  • Paint brush
  • Blue painter's tape
  • Gold paint
  • Rubber stamp(s) of your choice
  • Card stock paper
  • Scissors

Instructions: (Sorry no pics for this part...didn't think about it until after I was done.)

1) Place painters tape around the outer edge of the subscription card about a 1/4" in on all sides and then paint the inside area. Don't worry if your postcard starts to warp a little bit. You can just sit it between some heavy books once it is dry.

2) After the paint dries, brush gold paint on your rubber stamp (I used a sponge brush for this) and then stamp the design onto the painted area. If you have a stamp pad, feel free to use that. It would be easier and the stamp would probably come out clearer.

3) You don't have to do this part, but I like the way it looked with a border so I added black card stock. I marked off about a 1/4" border around my postcards onto the black paper and then cut it out.

4) Glue the postcard to the black paper and you're done!! If the sides are folding up or your paper is a little wrinkled, just let it sit between some books overnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment